Are you searching for software to recover iTunes backup password? This is tough as there are a few options out there and some of them do not support iOS or later. However, you don’t need to worry about it anymore since you are in the right place. In this post, we’ll share the best 3 options for iTunes backup password recovery.
As we know, the backup encryption is a great feature in iTunes that allows iOS users to secure their backups. To open those encrypted backups, they require a password to do so. Thus, in case you forget this encryption password, accessing backups is impossible. Luckily, there are still iTunes backup password recovery tools, which can help you get back lost password for iTunes backup file. With the appearance of such tools, it is hard to choose which one is the most effective. So, this post will help you find out the one that works for you.
#1 Keychain Password Manager (macOS)
If you use Mac, you should know or at least have heard about iCloud keychain. It’s an Apple’s password management system, which can keep all your saved passwords and accounts consistent across your multiple devices. When encrypting an iPhone on your Mac, there will be a password dialog appearing on the screen, asking you to type in the password and show up a checkbox “Remember this password in my Keychain”. If you tick on it, the encrypted iTunes backup password will be saved in Keychain files. In case you forget it, you can open Keychain to view your encryption password.
If you did not uncheck the “Remember this password in my Keychain” box, the encryption backup password could not be saved in your Keychain and you are unable to find out the encryption password on your Mac. Here is how to view iTunes backup password in Keychain on your Mac:
Step 1: On your Mac, open Keychain Access app from the Dock. If it is not here, simply navigate to Finder > Applications > Utilities and open Keychain Access from here.
Step 2: Choose the Login option under the “Keychains” section and Passwords under Category.
Step 3: Type in iPhone Backup in the search field, and you will then see an item, named “iPhone Backup”. Double click on it to display more info.
Step 4: On the next screen, click on the Attributes tab and tick on “Show Password” checkbox.
Step 5: You will be asked to enter the “login” keychain password, which is also the login password on your Mac.
Step 6: You will be taken to the previous window. Your iTunes encryption password is in the field next to “Show Password” section.
- A built-in feature and completely free.
- The process is quite complicated.
- Only available on Mac computers.
#2 Hashcat Free iTunes Backup Password Recovery
Basically, Hashcat is a password cracking program with a lot of features. If you forgot the password of iTunes backup, you can use this tool to break the protection. Hashcat is estimated as the fastest password recovery tool currently in the market. And interestingly, it’s completely free. You can use this tool to recover your iTunes backup password.
All you need is to download the latest build and extract it to your preferred location. You should use 7zip software when unpacking the software using the command line.
- Available on Windows, Linux, macOS.
- Fastest password recovery speed.
- Support latest iOS 12.
- Work with 50+ file types, including Zip, Rar, Word, Excel, PDF.
- Command line interface without GUI.
- Super hard to get started.
- Can not reset password.
#3 Online iTunes Backup Password Recovery
If you feel using password recovery software like Hashcat is complicated, another way to recover the iTunes backup password is to use an online website. The site we’d like to share with you is onlinehashcrack.com. This is a password recovery service that has been for 11 years old. The service will use some techniques such as Brute-force, Rainbow to crack a hash for free.
However, you should note that if your iTunes backup password has more than 8 characters, it will require a fee of 3€ to recover the pass. To use the service, you will need a valid email so that it can send you notifications when the hacking process is done. After that, you can access the private URL inside the email sent to you.
Follow these steps below to recover your iTunes backup password via onlinehashcrack.com:
Step 1: Open any browser on your computer and visit: onlinehashcrack.com
Step 2: From its interface, click on Choose File option browse to the folder containing the backup.plist.
Step 3: Enter your valid email number and click on
Step 4: Wait for the process. Once done, it will send to you an email within the password of your iTunes backup.
- Does not require installing any software.
- Fast recovery speed and secure.
- Max size per file only 100MB.
- Require money for big file size.
#4 iSeepassword iTunes Password Recovery
The next software we’d like to introduce to you is iSeePassword iTunes Password Recovery. This tool is very effective in recovering the forgotten iTunes backup password due to the advanced recovery engine. You can consider using the tool to crack the encryption password. For a technical explanation, the tool makes use of the best things in cryptanalysis so that it can decrypt cryptographic hashes.
Aside from that, Brute-Force with Mask Attack is a great element to make the process to decrypt the password of an iTunes backup faster and safer. When you opt to use iSeepassword Recovery software, you will realize that this tool is much more impressive than other ones, largely due to the simplified user interface.
- Brute-Force Attack. Combine all possible characters in a specified range. Thus, if the password is short, this option can recover it immediately.
- Mask Attack. Remember the backup password partially, set a mark for the characters you do not remember and this option will shorten the time for finding out the password over brute-force attack option.
- Simple interface that is not hard for beginners.
- Support both Windows and macOS.
- 90% success rate on recovering iTunes backup password.
- Fast recovery speed, multi-core CPU and GPU support.
- Dictionary attack is not supported.
- Free version can only recover password less than 3 characters.
#5 Daossoft iTunes Password Rescuer
Another great tool to recover the password of recovering iTunes encryption backup is Daossoft iTunes Password Rescuer. With this tool, unlocking iTunes backup password becomes easier and all your data can be restored just in a few minutes.
Unlike iSeepassword Password Recovery software, this tool has up to four types of powerful attack, including Brute-Force Attack, Mask Attack, Smart Attack, and Dictionary Attack.
- Smart Attack. Try to combine all possible characters, even including specific characters.
- Dictionary Attack. If you opt for this option, it will try to break the password from the built-in dictionary file to get the backup password back.
- 4 types of password recovery engines.
- All settings in a single Windows.
- Recovery speed is slow for iOS 10 and later files.
- No Mac version available.
- The fee is a little higher than other software.
#6 iMyFone KeyGenius
iMyFone is a well-know for iOS users, which developed a few amazing tools for iOS devices. However, it is a new challenger in password recovery niche. If you are looking for powerful software to get back iTunes backup password, it is a cool solution that you can not skip.
With the latest and advanced algorithms, recovering iTunes backup password becomes highly possible in 2019. The team has updated the tool with the newest 2019 technology, including three decoding modes insides. With the new features of KeyGenius, recovering iPhone backup password will have a higher success rate.
- No damage to backup file during the decoding process.
- Three powerful attack types to decrypt iTunes backup password.
- Simple and easy-to-use interface.
- Support Windows and MacOS.
- Free version is limited to many features.
- The time to recover iTunes backup password is not too fast.
- Full version price is quite high.
The Common Steps to Recover iTunes Backup Password
Step 1: Install and open one of the iTunes backup password recovery tool recommended in the above sections.
Step 2: Add encrypted iTunes backup file to the program. If the backup file is in the default location, they will be imported automatically. If not, you need to add the backup file to the program manually.
Step 3: Select a preferred unlocking method and make proper settings like password length, character types, etc.
Step 4: Wait for the password to be recovered. Once it is done successfully, you will see the password displayed on screen.
Recovering iTunes backup password is now much easier, thanks to a number of great free iTunes backup password unlocking tool. They have unique attack types and advanced features to bring your forgotten iTunes backup password back. Three software mentioned above are the highly recommended choices. They are widely used by many iOS users and are trusted by a lot of websites with their user-friendly interface, a high success rate on password recovery.