We have finally come around to resolve one of the most asked questions in our blog about how to get rid of the log on screen from the Windows 10 operating system. These measures are usually taken when a user forgets their computer password or they simple want to delete the password from the machine.
Now, gone are those days when you could simply turn on the computer in safe mode and delete the password which was fairly easy with Windows XP and Vista but with Windows 10, the scenario is quite distinct. Microsoft has gone ahead and fixed those glitches that could be manipulated to break the security breach. Can’t remember it at all? It can be a real head stress when you are unable to recall the computer password especially when you have important files and data in it & need to access it urgently. In this terrifying stage, you can’t even re-install the operating system either.
But again, this doesn’t mean you cannot unlock computer password in case you forget it. In this guide, we will show 4 easy ways to get rid of the login screen password on Windows 10/8/7 so that you can regain access to the PC again.
Method #1: Bypass Windows 10 Lock Screen Using Reset Disk
Windows 10 has made it easy to create a password reset disk by utilizing the default feature given by Microsoft itself. So, if you have the password reset disk then follow these steps to Get rid of the Windows 10 password screen:
- Step 1. Input the flash drive or CD/DVD where you have loaded the password reset disk files, insert it on the computer then power it on.
- Step 2. On the display screen, enter any wrong password couple times so that the “Reset Password” link appears.
- Step 3. Click on the Reset Password link once then the password reset setup wizard will launch.
- Step 4. Press the “Next” button and locate the flash drive or CD/DVD where you have the resetting files.
- Step 5. Finally, enter a new password for the computer along with a password hint and save the effects.
Now you can enter into the PC with the new password. But again, it only works with local accounts and only if you have prepared a password reset disk before getting locked out.
Method#2: Get Rid of Windows Screen Password with SaverWin
Most people don’t bother to make a password reset disk on their local accounts. In that case, both methods mentioned above are pretty useless. But that doesn’t mean you can’t reset the computer password. It is still possible to blank the computer password by using PassFolk SaverWin utility. No matter if you remember the previous password or not or if your account is locked out due to fail attempts or if the account is disabled due to inactivity reason then SaverWin can help you to regain access to the PC in a very easy way.
SaverWin is a password resetting program especially designed for deleting the password from locked Windows computers without losing data. It directly operates SAM file in the WinPE environment and remove the account information which stored in SAM file.
Step 1. You need to prepare a separate Windows computer to download and install SaverWin.
Step 2. Then launch the program and with the help of pen drive, create a password reset disk by clicking on “Burn USB” on the main user interface of the program. Take a look at the below screenshot as a reference.
Step 3. You need to set Windows boot option to make it boots the locked Windows computer from the USB drive or DVD/CD. You may have to re-arrange the booting orders from the BIOS settings.
Step 3. After the bootable media disk is produced, turn on the locked computer and reboot it using the USB flash drive. The program will launch automatically since it’s a bootable disk. From the SaverWin program UI, click the administrator username then click “Reset Password” to reset the password from the PC.
And that’s it. You have unlocked the computer! SaverWin literally has no limitations and can conquer any Windows password resetting within minutes like we mentioned.
It is literally the easiest and most reliable password recovery program we have ever used. Sometimes when recovering the password is not an option, we will have to use a force to break the computer from the logon screen and that’s exactly what SaverWin does. It is 100% guaranteed that the program will work flawlessly and at the end of the day, you will have full access to your PC.
Method#3: Get Rid of Windows 10/8/7 Login Password with command Prompt
If you are an advanced user then you should prefer this solution as many computer experts use this trick to bypass the computer password. Basically, you will be exploiting a glitch in Windows computer by using the Sticky Keys feature and login secretly by tricking the computer. This is totally safe to use in your own personal computer and within a matter of time and luck, you should be able to bury this issue.
- Step 1. Reboot the machine with the Windows operating system installation disk.
- Step 2. When the installation window appears, click on “Repair your computer” link.
- Step 3. Then choose the Command Prompt link from the given recovery list.
- Step 4. Now type the following series of commands to reset the computer password.
- Note: Keep pressing enter after typing in each command lines.
- cd windows
- cd system32
- ren sethc.exe sethc.exe.bak
- copy cmd.exe sethc.exe
- Step 5. Exit from all the open windows and restart the PC again but this time eject the installation disk.
- Step 6. When the sign in screen appears, keep pressing the SHIFT key until the Command Prompt window is opened.
- Step 7. Now enter the following command again –
- Net user admin_name newpassword
- Again replace “admin_name” with the computer username and “newpassword” with a password of your choice.
For laptop users: Step-by-step guide to reset Dell laptop password Windows 10
Method #4: Factory Resetting the Computer
Perhaps the most dreadful way to punish a computer is to reset it. This will definitely erase the password from the PC along with all the data and files from the computer. So unless you are using a new computer, we will not recommend this process whatsoever.
To reset the computer, just insert the Windows 10 disc and re-install the operating system all over again. This will take around 20-40 minutes but once the installation is finished. Your PC will be formatted and you will have to re-setup the PC all over again.
Hopefully, you have learned how to bypass screen lock on Windows if forgotten. All methods shared in this tutorial should be used on personal computers only and by no means should it be used on any unethical hacking purpose which may get you into troubles. We will definitely recommend using PassFolk SaverWin since it is free and working beyond expectations.