The iPhone interface is very user-friendly, and it allows you to organize your apps and access them with ease. However, sometimes we may want to change the location of an app, maybe to make it more accessible or to group together our favorites. It is a simple task but may not be apparent to all. In this article, we will show you the different methods you can use to move your apps on your iPhone home screen.
The Challenge of Changing the Location of Apps on iPhone
The iPhone interface is intuitive and easy to navigate. However, moving apps around may seem a bit challenging, especially if you are new to the iPhone interface. You may not know where to tap or how to drag and drop the apps to their new location. This can be frustrating, and you may end up giving up, leaving your apps in their initial position.
Moving apps around is also essential, especially if you want to keep your apps organized and easily accessible. Rearranging apps on your iPhone can save you time, as you won’t need to scroll through pages of apps to find what you need.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before changing the location of your apps, you need to prepare your iPhone. You will need to ensure that your iPhone is updated to the latest iOS version, as updates usually come with new features and bug fixes.
It is also essential to back up your iPhone before making any changes, in case something goes wrong, and you lose your data. You can back up your iPhone in two ways, using iCloud or iTunes.
1. Connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Go to "Settings" and select your name.
3. Tap on "iCloud," scroll down and select "iCloud Backup."
4. Toggle on the "iCloud Backup" switch.
5. Tap on "Back Up Now."
6. Wait for the backup to complete.
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
2. Open iTunes, and select your iPhone.
3. Click on "Back Up Now."
4. Wait for the backup to complete.
Method 1: Via Drag and Drop
One of the most natural methods to move apps on your iPhone is via the "drag and drop" feature. To do this:
1. Unlock your iPhone and go to the home screen.
2. Tap and hold the app that you want to move. The app icon will begin to jiggle.
3. Drag the app to the new location you want it to be and drop it there.
4. Release your finger from the screen, and the app will stay in its new location.
Pros: Simple and easy to use.
Cons: It can be inconvenient when moving multiple apps.
Q: My app icons keep shaking and won’t let me move them. What should I do?
A: This indicates that you have entered "edit" mode. Click the home button to exit this mode.
Method 2: Rearrange Apps on the App Library
The App Library is a new feature that was launched in iOS 14, which organizes all your installed apps into a folder. You can move apps from your home screen to the App Library, rearrange, and group them there, making your home screen more organized. To use this method:
1. Swipe left on your home screen until you get to the App Library.
2. Find the app you want to move and tap and hold it.
3. Drag the app to the location you want to move it to.
4. Release your finger, and the app will move to its new location.
Pros: It helps simplify your home screen by having everything in one place.
Cons: It takes a longer time to find specific apps since they’re stored inside a folder.
Q: How do I access the App Library?
A: Swipe left on your home screen until you reach the App Library.
Method 3: Using the App Store
Another method to rearrange your apps is through the App Store. You can use the "Updates" tab to move your apps around. To do this:
1. Open the App Store.
2. Go to the "Updates" tab.
3. Scroll down until you see the app you want to move.
4. Tap and hold the app, and a menu will appear.
5. Select "Remove from Home Screen."
6. Go to the home screen and find the app you removed. Tap and hold the app, and move it to its new location.
Pros: A great way to find an app you don’t use often and move it to the App Library.
Cons: This method can be hectic if you want to move multiple apps.
Q: How do I search for a specific app in the App Store?
A: Tap the search icon at the bottom of the screen and type the name of the app.
Why Can’t I Rearrange My Apps on iPhone?
1. You may have locked your home screen layout. Follow this path "Settings" -> "General" -> "Restrictions" -> "Enable Restrictions" (if it’s not already activated), then toggle off "Deleting Apps."
2. Another reason may be that your device has run out of storage space. Try to free up space by deleting files you don’t need.
3. Lastly, your iPhone may lag or could have a damaged screen. In this case, you should visit an Apple store and have them take a look.
Q: What should I do if my iPhone lags and affects the placement of apps on my screen?
A: This may signify an issue with your iPhone’s storage and memory. Try deleting unused apps or files, or put them in the App Library. You can also reset your iPhone by following the path "Settings" -> "General" -> "Reset."
1. You can change the size of app icons on your iPhone by going to "Settings" -> "Display & Brightness" -> "View."
2. To create folders on your home screen, hold down one app icon and drag it onto another app icon. This will create a folder with both apps.
3. If you want to move multiple apps simultaneously, tap and hold on an app icon until it starts wiggling. Drag one app to a new location and use another finger to tap on other apps you want to group. Drag all apps together to the new location.
5 FAQs about Moving Apps on iPhone
Q: How do I move an app to the App Library?
A: Tap and hold an app icon on your home screen until it starts wiggling. Then, drag the app over to the App Library page at the end of your home screen, and release it.
Q: Can I undo moving an app on my home screen?
A: Yes. Shake your iPhone to undo any change.
Q: Can I move Apple apps to the App Library?
A: No. Apple apps will remain on your home screen, but you can move them within your home screen.
Q: Can I move apps from my App Library to my home screen?
A: Yes. Tap and hold the app you want to move, then select "Add to Home Screen."
Q: Can I move apps between different pages on my home screen?
A: Yes. Tap and hold the app icon you want to move, and then drag it to the side of the screen to move to the adjacent page.
Organizing your apps on your iPhone is a simple but essential task that can help make accessing the apps you use regularly easier. We hope this article has helped and provided you with the knowledge to change the location of your apps on your iPhone. If you encounter any challenges, you can refer back to this article for guidance.